Tuesday, January 10, 2012

ROP 37: A No-Brainer Investment

I have been investing for many years now.  I am a believer of investing in the stock market, because like everyone else, I like to see my money grow.    But one problem in investing in stocks is the scary fluctuations.  It's not a friend that will be by your side when crisis hits Wall Street.   Gone are the days when one only needs to invest in blue-chip companies to get a goodnight sleep.  No thanks to the Lehman Brothers collapse in 2008 that brought the giants like Citigroup and Bank of America to its knees.

But one investment has stood strong and mighty in my portfolio.  And that is the ROP bonds I hold.  I currently have ROP 34 bonds with a coupon of 6.375%.  I bought them when bonds are in all time low and ROP 34 was selling at 91.   I bought it again when it was at 95  and another one when it was at 98.   All this time, when investment portfolios are typically wavering in negative and zero profit, my ROP bonds held true and provided me with a 6.375% interests per year.  And most important of all, it is now trading at 119.50.   This means , that for every ROP 34 bond I have that I bought for $91,000,  $95,000 and $98,000 respectively, I would get $119,500 for every bond I decide to sell.    Now, that's pretty neat, isn't it?

When I realized how good my ROP was for my portfolio, I started looking at ALL the series of ROP and see which ones I can still get for a discount.  Im biased towards getting bonds priced at 100 and below.  But alas, I was not so fortunate.  ROP bonds are quite in demand and all series were selling above 100.  I decided to wait.

And so now, my wait is over.  The Philippine government decided to issue $1.5B global bonds with a coupon rate of 5% and maturity on January 2037.   It is currently priced at 100.50.  And you must buy two.  It's one of the quirks of this bond.  Nevertheless, I know a good investment when I see one.  I quickly called my local bank and booked 2 bonds worth $201,000.

I don't even have to keep my fingers crossed.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that comment with the government bonds. I also have exactly the same sentiments with you.When it was launched on January 6, 2012, I decided to invest in one of the foreign banks and even bought dollars from black market priced a peso higher than bank foreign exchange rate. I took the whole day sacrifice of not going to my clinic to see patients and opted to wait patiently for my account officer to attend to me.Towards the end of the day, I was so exhausted because of funds arrangement. After months of declining to the suggestions of my account officer to sell even at a low cap gain of 108, I finally decided to have it sold at a price of 120. Attractive !!! the problem, after having it sold is when to park the funds . To maximize the returns, the funds should work again. Ignorant of certain types of investments, I was convinced to put my money in Odyssey..It was an ordeal for me seeing my money shrinking because of market volatility and uncertainties.I felt I was going to have a heart attack!!! I finally decided to terminate and sell against the advice of my account officer and i did it right. Now the odyssey rates continue to decline Had i followed his advice, i could have lost thousands of dollars by this time. Now, i am just waiting for the funds to be redeemed and decided to invest them back in ROP. The best kind of investment nowadays... The lesson i have learned, TRUST YOUR INSTINCT AND NEVER ALWAYS AGREE WITH THE SUGGESTIONS OF FINANCIAL ADVISERS.DECIDE FOR YOURSELF ON INVESTMENTS.

    ReplyDelete