Monday, August 1, 2011

Elbert's Cheesesteak in Rockwell

Nothing de-stresses me better than a good Philly Cheesesteak, and for this purpose, Elbert's Cheesesteak located at the basement level of Rockwell Mall delivers.

I heard from the grapevine that their rendition of Philly Cheesesteak is superb!  So, one rainy Saturday afternoon, I went to Rockwell, got a seat and ordered their American Cheesesteak. It's 320 pesos and add another 80 pesos for fries and drinks (sola, minute maid or soda).   They have many types of Cheesesteak:  American, Provolone,  Pizza.  They also offer Burgers and Hotdogs. I asked the cashier what is their best-selling item and she said it's American Cheesesteak.  So that's what I ordered.  

I waited for around 10-15 minutes for my order to arrive.  Oh man, when I took my first bite, I had to close my eyes for the sheer pleasure of my palate.  It was served hot and fresh from the grill.   The beef was of good quality, which was a surprise for me.  In this country, Im used to being served with bad quality beef, especially if the beef is intended for just a sandwich.  But that's where Elbert's difference lies.  They use USDA beef, good quality stuff and eating their cheesesteak makes you realize that the price is just worth it.  The cheese just recently melted with the beef from the grill makes an excellent companion to the beef and bread.  They have a generous amount of onions in their cheesesteak which is just perfect for me.  

The fries was also perfection in itself.  I had a hard time deciding which I should put first in my mouth: the fries or my sandwich.  At that time, I wish I had the mouth of cookie monster so I can put it all inside and not miss a second of the pleasure it offers.

Maybe the only downside to eating in this joint is that you are seated at the mall with no privacy to speak of.    People ... no, the better word there is CROWD.  Imagine you are eating this great sandwich while the CROWD of mallers walk in and out, in and out, passing you by, looking at what you are eating, and let's not forget , we have to be double vigilant on those quick fingers.   So that part is a downer for me. 

The next day , I was craving for it again.  But I have to watch my weight now.  So I can just write about it and hopefully derive pleasure from people who can taste the same goodness as I did at Elbert's.

1 comment:

  1. i think its a bad combination to wake-up early in the morning and read food blogs.. the vivid description of the food and the photo that accompanies it make's you wish that something (or anything) else goes with your coffee ;o)

    ReplyDelete