Monday, May 14, 2012

An Open Letter to Dad

Dear Papa,

We are so alike in many ways that people around us call us twins.  Remember the time when you found the book of Lee Kuan Yew on my bedside table and you showed me that you bought the same book , only yours is in Mandarin, and you also put it on your bedside table.  We had a great time discussing this Singapore statesman at length in the days after that.  Or the time you were shocked I was sporting your Lacoste white jacket when in fact, I bought the same thing on the same day as yours.   We have similar behaviors and interests as well that amazes our family to no end.  We are both avid sports fans and we interrogate people in the same way that a drop of inconsistency would make us nail the lie in their stories. And remember the time when you barged in when I was taking a shower because you were so excited in telling me that we actually applied for the same course in college: BS Mathematics.   Only you were too poor and sick to continue your scholarship.  I was luckier because I was able to pursue it with your help.  How many times have I seen you steal my books in the middle of the night so you can peruse them at your own leisure.  That is why I know that even if you didn't take an accounting course in your life, we are on equal footing when we discuss accounting issues and financial concepts.

I gave up a lucrative career in banking to be by your side, because you asked me to.  Your blinding trust and immense generosity in people makes you vulnerable so I make sure you are protected from these sharks, at least as much as you let me.  When I told you your 8 year mistress was cheating on you, your pain was my pain.  I cried so much the night before I told you because I know how much you love her.   Like any other crisis in your life, you are able to deal well with it.  You are resilient in that way.  But I know the times when you miss her very much.  You don't know it but I still keep tabs on her activities till now, at least until the day I see that you have gotten over her completely.

How can I explain to you that I lost my ambition because my happiest days were our struggling years.  Do you remember when you brought me to the cinema to watch Ice Castle?  I asked you why we aren't seated in the balcony and you said "coz we are too poor to afford the balcony seats".  But then you proceeded to carry me on your shoulders so I could watch the movie better.  That was my best movie date so far.   Or when you bought your first car, you were so excited coming home to show me your first car and we drove around the city, opening the windows to feel the air around us.   But I don't even get to sit beside you in your car now because you have so many cars.  Maybe that is why until now, I find exhilarating driving my car with windows down.  It makes me feel the air and remember the time when it was such a joy just to feel the wind in your face.

You affected so many of my decisions.  When you frowned on a suitor, the next day, I didn't even speak to that person anymore.  Poor chap.   When I wanted to study Civil Engineering, you said its not for girls, so I applied for Home Economics instead.  That one would surely be for girls.   And now you wanted me to pursue a venture that I hardly understand, much less like.  But I'm doing it the best I could because you wanted me to do it.

Many of your friends say that you always talk about me and that I must be your favorite daughter.  How come I never felt that.  We rarely talk when we are together.  Nevertheless, it does not matter because my love for you is great enough for the two of us, twice over.

Happy Birthday , Papa.





2 comments:

  1. Nice piece... just hope that your dad get's to read this so that your priceless thought won't remain unspoken/archived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah sure, he'll just get to read it on my deathbed perhaps.

    ReplyDelete