Thursday, July 5, 2012

One Summer Fling in Capri Island



We joined Tauck tour to Italy one summer time.  I haven't been enjoying the tour so far because my mother has me at her beck and call.  I was not allowed time of my own.   But I was given a reprieve when she had fallen ill on the day we are to embark for Capri island.  Her forehead was hot and she has to stay in the hotel.  She wanted me to stay with her but good thing, the tour director assured her that a young woman like me would surely prefer roaming the beautiful island rather than stay cooped up in a hotel room.   With much reluctance, my mother let me go.  I was so happy to be on my own that I forgot to ask for pocket money.   But what the heck, I am off to Capri island without the Hawk

We hopped on to a ferry from Naples (or was it Sorrento? )  and I made sure to take the seat by the window, nearest to the sea.  I wanted to feel the sea breeze lapping on my face and the sunshine warming my whole body.   I was smiling all throughout the ride.  And my joy was probably quite infectious because unknown to me, an italian boy followed me when I hopped out of the ferry.  

As I climbed up the slope towards the Piazzetta, I was astounded at the magnificence of this little island.  How can something so small offer so much?  No wonder we were given one whole day to explore this island.  As I roam around the famous Piazzetta, I realized I have no money in my pocket and I was to be stuck here the whole day.  So, I just walked over to one of those benches overlooking the mediterranean sea and just basked in the glorious view around me.  When suddenly, the italian boy from the ferry plumped next to me.  " Hola, ¿Cómo está" , he greeted.  I didn't spare him a glance.  20 years of strict catholic upbringing and a much stricter chinese style of child-rearing made me ignore this stranger's call.  But he was a persistent one.  "Hello I said.  You don't speak spanish?  I am Miguel. And you are ...   ?"   I peeked through my short eyelashes and said a shy " Hello, I'm Erika. ".  He smiled at me and said "Wow, you can talk.  For a while there, I thought you were mute. " .  I smiled widely this time, and got enough courage to speak more. "I'm not mute.  I am just not used to talking to strangers."  He then asked "Are you alone?".  I nodded my head and explained my mother's illness that prompted her to stay behind.   Getting relaxed, I bravely quipped, " If you are planning to rob me, Im sorry to say that Im poorer than a pauper.  And that's why Im just here looking at the sea because I have no money to buy food or drinks.".  He looked at me with delight and said "Hey, I've got a few money here.  It should be enough for both of us to get decent food."  I declined at first but his sweet insistence and the growling of my stomach led me to agree to go with him.  
He said he sings in a band and that in his spare time, he goes to the boxing ring.  Then, he made me listen to a music he composed.  We kept talking that I do not remember much of what I saw in Capri Island.  I just remember seeing some flowers on the road, lots of restaurants, a cathedral perhaps and some stoned wall and lots of tourists. We had some grilled zucchini, some bread and soup in one of the cheaper food stalls there, and afterwards we had some gelato.  He was laughing so hard to the way I was eating.  But then, while I was eating my gelato, he said something in spanish "Me encanta la forma de comer su helado. Me hace querer a comer mi pene. Me gustaría hacer el amor contigo en estos momentos.".  I stopped smiling.  I failed to tell him that my first job was programming in spanish.  My spanish may be limited to "wires" and " electricity" but my spanish boss thought I would do better with night schooling in the spanish language.  So, I may not be fluent in spanish, but I understood the general meaning of what he said.  And I don't like it one bit.  His sweet smile betrayed his horny imaginations of me.  How can he think of me eating his cock when I was just eating my ice cream?  So I quickly stood up and left him.  He ran after me, asking me what is wrong.  And that's the time I thought I should answer him in spanish too.  Correction, it's more like rant in spanish.   He was shocked.  He never thought I would understand what he said.  And he kept apologizing.   I kept turning away.  But he would always block my path.  Grrrr....   did I tell you he was persistent?    Fine.  So I let him speak and explain.  And what he said next blew me away.  "When I saw you in the ferry, I thought you have the most beautiful eyes I've seen in my whole life.  I've never seen eyes like yours.  They are shaped like almonds.  And your smile was so beautiful.  I just have to talk to you, so I chased after you.  I saw you walk along the slopes and going around like you don't know where you are going, until you stopped by the bench overlooking the sea.  And I thought this would be my chance to talk to you.  I do not deny it, I want you.   I want to make love to you.  But if you don't want to, then it's fine, I just want to spend the day with you, if you'd let me.   Please forgive me about what I said earlier.  I do not mean to offend you.  But I admit I imagine us having sex.  But don't get mad.  I won't think of it further.  I just want to be with you."    Man, he already had me at "beautiful eyes".   And c'mon, Im not immune to his big blues and long eyelashes.   He is truly a very beautiful man.  Paris himself would have envied this man.   

By that time, it was almost sunset, and my ferry is about to leave for Naples.   But I have a few more minutes to spare.  I thanked him for the food and ice cream that we shared from his allowance.  But my.... I can't think straight looking at his face.  In the end, I just looked at the view of the sunset by the sea and savoring that moment with Miguel.  He slowly touched my face, and he said "I wanna see your eyes for one last time."  And I let him.   He slowly kissed me on the cheek, until I suddenly found his lips next to mine.  How it got there?  I also don't know.  Im the most forgetful and stupid person when my heart is thumping so fast.  

Then I heard the tour director shouting my name.  I was the last one to embark and she was looking at me badly, giving me warning that I need to leave fast.  I nodded my head and as I was about to run to the ferry, I gave Miguel one last look.  The view of Capri island became more beautiful with his face in the sunset and the sea.  I waved him good bye.  He ran after me.  I looked at him and asked "What are you doing?".  He replied ," I will run with you to the ferry." .  And he grabbed my hand as we ran towards the boat, squealing in delight.  We hugged one last time.  I smiled at him, and he smiled back.  But this time, my smile has a touch of sadness in it.  

**** Note:   

1. Spanish translation was taken from Google translate.  Sorry if its awful but I totally forgot my spanish. 

2. Miguel is Italian but he can speak Spanish fluently too. 


4 comments:

  1. love this write-up! It's like reading a travel autobiography and a love story novel rolled into one ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot! For two days, I've been thinking why nobody is reading my post. It's the first time it has happened. So I thought my post was way too cheesy. Hahaha! So I went back to writing investment-related articles. It's my refuge. Really glad somebody out there like this particular post, especially since I wrote this at 2am with a splitting headache.

    It's sometimes nice to reminisce those years when we can simply enjoy the company of a nice man over a scoop of gelato.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how the recollection would be on the eyes of the Italian boy who's probably a man by now? **grins**

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to think he also had a good time. Italians, like Spanish, are pretty intense and transparent. They flirt a lot, but they are not afraid to show their devotion or love. You don't need to second-guess, which I find doing all the time in dealing with the guys here.

    Miguel , as a full-grown adult , would be a man to reckon with. He was so handsome and as an avid boxer, his physique would be at its optimum. I'm just glad I had one full day with him. :-)

    ReplyDelete