Saturday, November 10, 2012

Finding Refuge in Salon de Ning

One shitty day, I decided to have an afternoon tea at the Pen.  I was hoping the orchestra would play a medley of broadway musicals, but as expected, I was not that lucky.   I was not particularly hungry, but if for other girls, they derive satisfaction in retail therapy, mine is dining in swanky places and listening to good music.  After munching on mango scones and plain scones with generous serving of clotted cream (that would totally freak out my cardiologist), I was not appeased.  The day is still early.  It's a little past 5 in the afternoon.  I don't want to go home and be in the vicinity of any psychotic homo sapiens.

I have always wanted to try Salon de Ning.  Even when it was still being constructed, it looked interesting to me.  I was just initially hesitant because the interiors were quite manly and the cigar store located adjacent to it ,only reaffirms my suspicion.  But having a shitty day means being braver than usual.  So, I went inside and was greeted with interesting artifacts.  The interiors were designed with dark wooden panels and dark green wallpapers.   Floor was an interesting mix of black and white.  Chandeliers have black crystals in it.  Humongous candle sticks are everywhere.  Leather seats adorned the place.  But my personal favorite are the private alcoves located along the sides of the lounge.  I chose one of the corner alcoves and stayed there with my friend.  Music was interestingly diverse from dark gloomy tones to romantic overtures, to cuban marches to the more popular jazz and pop.  But somehow, the diversity is charming; the experimental combination of tones is welcoming to the lounge guests.

For this difficult day, I chose Patron Anejo.  With 40% alcohol content, served in small quantities, this premium tequila drink offers its drinkers a unique blend of aged tequilas.   In my younger days (and poorer days too) , I frequent Padi's Point and Tia Maria's, and I used to order shots of  Jose Cuerva Gold.  But now that Im 20 years older, my taste in drink has gone several notches higher.  And Patron Anejo is truly the drink to have for tequila shooters like me.

My friend ordered White Turkey, a bourbon drink that has 50.5% alcohol content.   Both of us instantly smiled in that very contented way, upon taking our first sip of our chosen beverages.   And we laughed because we both realized that what the afternoon tea didn't provide us , was readily indulged by our alcoholic drinks.  Misery loves more miserable companions.   And this seemed true for both of us on that day.  It was our luck that the bar has happy hour at 5:30- 7:30.  Yipee!

We saw some friends drinking nearby, had quick chats and went on to enjoy our night.  My friend couldn't resist: he had some cigars.  I played my carcassonne on my Iphone (nerdy right? but what can I do? I don't smoke).   Instead of talking about our day, we almost spent the whole time talking about how interesting Salon de Ning is.  It doesn't strive to be intimidating so it is free from being pretentious as most bars in manila are.  It is down-to-earth, real and very comfortable.  The volume of the music is just right.  No trying hard teeners around, only mature, highly individualistic members of our society, and that is what I prefer.  The night would have been perfect with a sleepover at one of the rooms above.  I still remember how comfortable the beds in Manila Pen are.  But no, this is not one of those nights.   After two Patron Anejo and double Bailey's Cream, I declined to have any more.   I am of this age, when you know when to stop drinking and just enjoy what you had.  I have enough alcohol in my blood stream to be smiling throughout my ride home but not too much that I will get a headache the morning after.


Happy birthday to us! And many many thanks for dropping everything to accompany me on this day when there seemed to be no end to my misery.  I missed being with my friends in Singapore but who would have thought I found a kindred soul in you as well.  And at this late stage of my life , finding a real friend is truly a treasure worth keeping.  

3 comments:

  1. It's nice to finally see a new post from you. :) I've been a fan. :) Stay safe. :)




    http://missfckedup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Admittedly, there's been a drought in my blog. When Im not inspired to write, I don't bother picking up the pen. I just don't want to waste other people's time when i have nothing to write anyway.

      I have a few topics in mind. But my information are currently inadequate. When the time is right, I'd write them, and I hope to write them well.

      Delete
  2. Hmm i can still say a very late belated happy birthday? Sorry, been busy at work myself **grins**

    ReplyDelete