Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Forbidden Rice

I have always been an avid eater.  And like most Filipinos, I love my rice.

Two years ago, I was seated beside the owner of Dona Maria on a flight to China.  We became fast friends.  Since then, I started eating Dona Maria rice.   When I needed to watch my weight, I switched to brown rice, and I still bought the Dona Maria brand.

But one time,  I needed to bring rice on a beach trip.  I fancied bringing one that is resealable for easy storage.  The brand was japanese, but its brown rice.  When I started cooking that rice in a swampy place beside the beach, the smell was so fragrant that it got the attention of everyone.  It was so soft and fluffy.  So it's no surprise that everyone had second helpings.. and third helpings.

When I came back to Manila and started eating Dona Maria rice again, I was not satisfied.   Suddenly Dona Maria's Jasponica Brown rice seemed bland and odorless , the usual expectation in any brown rice.  I panicked because my brown rice is about to get depleted.  I needed to buy something.  Anything!

My eyes chanced upon this small package.  Black rice?  What is that?  But I remember that when I visited Korea, all the restaurants offered this same black rice.  Should I try it?  Well... fine, I'll try it.  And to play it safe, I'd buy one of those nice japanese short grain rice, and cook the black and white rice together.

I used the black-white rice and wrapped them inside a seaweed, rolled it and popped them in my mouth.  YUM!  DELICIOUS!!!  The taste is quite addictive.


It says in the package that it is better than white rice, brown rice or red rice.

To learn more about what I'm eating, I googled this black rice and found this literature on it.  Read on.

"Highly treasured in ancient China, Black Rice was reserved exclusively for emperors and nobility as it was believed to ensure their good health and a long life. It became known as the “forbidden rice” as every grain was commandeered for royalty and all others were banned from eating it. Fortunately today it is available for everyone to enjoy the magnificent colour, taste and texture of this gourmet rice. 


A brilliant deep purple colour when cooked, Black Rice provides a beautiful contrast in meals and is an impressive addition to any dish. It has a delicious rich nutty taste and a chewy texture that suits a wide range of cuisines and dishes from a delicate pilaf to a summer salad or simply steamed on its own.
Black Rice is a wholegrain and has been referred to as a “super food”. It contains essential vitamins and minerals including Niacin, Thiamin and Magnesium as well as being a source of dietary fibre. Its delightful dark purple colour is due to natural anthocyanin which also gives blueberries and blackberries their dark colour.
Contains essential vitamins and minerals
Wholegrain and source of dietary fibre
Brilliant dark colour with rich nutty taste
Gluten and cholesterol free
Low in fat, sugar and salt   "


1 comment:

  1. I like black rice too!
    A friend in Singapore who is vegetarian offered it to me while her husband and 2 kids preferred real white rice.
    It tasted differently and had a special flavor. Really filling too.
    I love trying new things especially when a friend recommends it.
    Be adventurous in life....even with food.... lol
    Ur Dutchman

    ReplyDelete