Friday, March 2, 2012

My Bucket List


Ever since the movie The Bucket List was shown in 2007, almost everyone who has watched it left the theater thinking "what is my own bucket list".
Nothing like a reminder of our mortality would give us a strong sense of purpose to do what we want to do in this life time.
I am no different.  Im hitting 40 soon and my recent blood tests reveal my own physical limitations.  Maybe, that's putting it mildly.  I have serious health issues that I need to address soon.  But before we go into panic, I can't help but think what else do I need to do.  What is my bucket list?
1.  Scotland's Highlands

    Scotland has always been my second home.  Even before I reached that place, I know all about it from the multitudes of books I have read regarding its history, culture and places.  Visiting Scotland is merely a confirmation of what is already in my mind.  And in this aspect, I learned that my imagination falls short of the beauty of Scotland.
    The first time I set foot on Scotland was in Edinburgh.  I reached Edinburgh from London via a train ride that lasted for the whole day and which cost around 120 pounds.  What is nice about Scotland, and maybe the rest of Europe is that, their parks, restaurants and houses were standing for more than 100 years, 200 years.   Take for example the restaurant RULES which was frequented by Charles Dickens... or the Hyde Park, which was the place to be when you want to ride around London with your horse 100 years ago.    And it wasn't uncommon to occupy the same room as Jane Austen when she was writing Pride and Prejudice.  That kind of cultural high cannot be replicated easily.
   The first time I was in Scotland , I can't help but gushed "My goodness, God must have favored the Scottish people more than anyone, for the beauty of this land is truly amazing and heavenly. "
   But I wasn't able to go up the highlands that time.  So this time around, I want to go up till Isle of Skye.  I want to see Cawdor Castle, where inspiration for Macbeth of Shakespeare came from.  I want to stay for a night beside their lochs and I want to eat their strawberries with cream while on top of the mountain.
                                      http://www.secret-scotland.com/
2.   Canadian Rockies

I have to admit I don't know much about the Canadian Rockies, but all those snow and mountain make me want to go on an adventure.  Snow-capped peaks, alpine lakes and a ride on a glacier would surely be a feast to the eyes. And to make it extra special, I want to go and tour the place riding a nice comfortable train with glass rooftops and windows.  
If you've got the money to splurge, go with tauck on this tour.  They are the best travel tour company I have ever joined, and this is coming from someone who has been touring for 23 years.
3.  Kathmandu - Everest Base Camp Trekking


     Trekking the highest mountain in the Himalayas is one of the most incredible experience of a lifetime.    This adventure is definitely not for the faint-hearted.  And I bet one also needs to be physically fit to attempt this tour.  Lots of work, lots of heart go with the decision to travel to Kathmandu and climb the Mt. Everest.  But the rewards should be magnificent.  How can it not be?  The attempts to conquer this mountain have been legendary.  I even heard that an HBO (Human Behavior Organization) class in Harvard would make their class go trek the mountain to learn about human nature, leadership and organization.  
4.  Play the Cello
     Music has always been the balm to our soul.   And somehow , I have always been fascinated with learning how to play the cello.  Maybe it's because I'm a large woman, and I want an equally large musical instrument.   I have attempted many times to search for a cello class but all of them require me to have my own cello.  And cellos are expensive.  They cost 100,000 at the very least if you want a decent cello.   In my search, I have come to know a cello maker from StringWorks who is willing to sell me a cello in installment basis.  But having three kids in their toddler years, one is hesitant to shell out such an amount purely for indulgence.  But one day .... one day, I shall have my own cello and I will learn to play it. 

                                          http://www.stringworks.com/

5.  Be Part of the Theater
      
       I love the theater!  When Im inside the theater, I can immersed myself completely to the play for the full 3 hours.  Since age 14, I have tried to overcome my shyness and cowardice in attempting to audition for a part.  But I never did it.  That is one of my deepest regret.  While we are young, we should have tried everything without much hesitance.  The world is at our feet and it is the right time to experiment.  


6.  Bring All My Kids to Disney Cruise


    Just being in Disneyland is enough to leave behind all your problems at home.  Hongkong Disneyland may be the smallest Disneyland in the world but my kids can spend 3 whole days in it and every single time , they are excited.  Imagine, if they will be on a Disney Cruise Line visiting Castaway Cay, which is the private port-of-call of Disney.  Aside from the crystal blue beaches with palm trees, the cruise liner would be entertaining its guests with its signature Disney hospitality that includes live shows, 3D movie and activities tailor fitted for the kids with Disney characters to boot.  I can't wait to see the faces of my children as they spend 7 days in a lavish cruise line with their favorite Disney characters.  Problem is I have to cough up $5000 for our whole family to go, not including the airplane tickets going to the port of departure which will be around $5000 too.  Steep! 

                                           http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/

7.   Go Back to the Academe

     In my semi-retirement age, I would want to go back to teaching and molding the young ones.  If it's possible, I would wish to do this in both private and public schools.   But if a choice has to be made, I'd like to be a faculty in public schools.  I want to give the poor children of this country hope that they can do better than their family.  I want them to find purpose in their lives and to mold them to be strong principled children.  I am forever saddened by the media depicting half naked women gyrating to sensual music in prime time TV.  Children are supposed to be sharpening their minds in sciences and mathematics, not raping their innocent minds with blatant display of sexuality. 

8.   Bake Breads and Sell them Commercially

      Since I was 20 years old, I always wanted to bake breads.  Even before Bread Talk arrived in town, I had this idea of opening a bakeshop showcasing the different breads of the world.  But I got an earful from my mom who dissuaded me from pursuing that dream.   It is so fulfilling to bake your own breads and get a whiff of that heavenly smell of butter and eggs.   And see complete strangers savoring the sweet taste of your bread.  That would be quite a lovely sight!


9.  Go on an Adventure in Africa Safari




     Africa represents a country that is most unknown to us.  It's a combination of mystery, adventure and wildlife.  When you go to an african safari, you humbly give in to nature.  In Africa, the mighty beasts (the Big Five) are the king of that country, while you are a mere spectator, witnessing their greatness, their strength and glory. 
     I truly want to go to an African Safari before I die. And I want to live in a tent, eating simple meals and sleeping under the stars.  I want to see the beasties in their most natural environment.  I just wish that I won't be eaten alive.. now that's no fun at all!
    And I would like to do this by joining Asia to African Safaris.  They are a group of investment bankers who left their jobs to pursue their dream of customizing great safari adventures to people in Asia.   I heard really good reviews on this tour group.  So if you are going to Africa, go to Asia to Africa Safari.  They interview people who want to go to safari.  They ask you your budget, the kind of adventure you want, how many days  you can spare.  Their philosophy is that Africa safari is different for all types of people.  So this should be great for us!

                                          http://www.atoasafaris.com







5 comments:

  1. Really? Actually that list is lacking one. And I've been meaning to add it, just couldn't seem to find the time to do it. But Im glad you like this particular post. I really really want to go to Nepal before my knees give in.

    Last on my bucket list is supposed to be Africa's safari. :-)

    Do visit this blog once again, as I will be making another post soon about my trip to Dubai. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The African safari and the Scottish highland would probably be in my list too but i'd probably include exploring the Amazon jungle as well as savoring the sites at Machu Picchu in Peru and holding the job as the caretaker for the great barrier reef in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice!!! But I must admit I have some doubts on the Amazon Jungle. I don't want to be bitten by any poisonous animals there. Spiders? Snakes? eeeeww! no way. It's like signing my own death sentence. As for Australia, I've been there 3 times or so and every single time I just want to go home. I experience discrimination there, and that can spoil any vacation.

      Delete
    2. i simply want to apply what i've learned from all those countless reality survival shows that i've watched **grins**
      I don't think you'd have to worry about discrimination in the great barrier reef, you'd probably wish that their were any other soul out there other than your own hehe not sure if you're familiar with the contest done by national geographic with a tie-up to the gov't of Australia to boost its tourism where people were encouraged to apply to what they label as the best job in the world that is you'll be paid a good amount of money to write a blog and make a documentary of one's stay (not sure if it was for a year) at the great barrier reef (remote island somewhere in the Pacific). Some bloke from UK won it and tagged her GF along to stay into that tropical paradise. I guess some people simply has all the luck in the world ;o)

      Delete
  3. Everest Base Camp
    Everest has always been the desirable name among all the people around the world,mostly the adventure lovers. To reach at an altitude of 8,848m isnot an easy task, it requires a lot of hard effort and dedication. It can be the greatest achievement in one’s life, overcoming the fear of the harshness of the nature. Mount Everest is also known as Chomolongma which resembles the meaning as a mother earth. Everest was successfully conquered byEdmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay Sherpa in the year 1953 for the first time. Following the same route discovered by them thousands of travelers each make an attempt to conquer the highest peak of the world anually. Though some of them became successful wherease some lost their life. Though,who cant make it to the peak fulfill the desire of the having glimpse of Mount Everst from its base,from the base camp (5,320m).
    http://www.nepalguideinfo.com/Everest-Base-Camp.php
    http://www.hikehimalayas.com/trekking-in-nepal/trekking-region/everest-region/everest-base-camp.htm
    http://www.nepalguideinfo.com/
    Email-:sanjib-adhikari@hotmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/indepandenttrekkingguidenepal

    ReplyDelete