Sunday, July 8, 2012

KASBAH: An Authentic Moroccan Restaurant in Manila

Kasbah's front door
I have long been a fan of moroccan dishes.  Their blends of spices, herbs, fruits and nuts make their dishes very flavorful and aromatic.  They are also a believer of slow-cooking , just like me.  So when I heard that a new moroccan restaurant is in town, I've been itching to go.  Desperately, in fact.

Kasbah is located at the Fort Strip, in between 5th street and 26th street.  The interiors are clearly moroccan from the hanging lamps to the paintings.  The soft comfortable cushions and intimate settings spell moroccan to anybody stepping in the restaurant for the first time.


For starters, I ordered Watermelon, Feta and Olive Salad , and Couscous with Chickpea Salad.  I know, I'm a glutton.  Who orders two starters anyway.  Well, I was having a hard time deciding between the two appetizers.  And my brain is precious so I merely ordered both and decide which one is better after tasting them.  I heard some men do the same thing anyway.  :-)


Mixed Grill Kebab
 For the main course, I ordered Mixed Grill Kebab and Chicken Tajine.  The mixed grill kebab consists of chicken, fish, lamb and prawns kebab.   They are really good kebabs, and it comes with a plate of different sauces like yoghurt, mint jelly , etc.  It was really a delightful meal in itself.   And the one that I really came for is the Tajine.  Tajine is a slow-cooked stew of meat braised in low temperature with nuts, lemon, honey, fruits like apples, prunes and pears, various spices and herbs, vegetables and sauces. It is traditionally cooked in a tajine pot with a conical cover and Kasbah serves this dish using the traditional tajine pot.   The result is fantastic.  Meat is moist, tender and juicy combined with a rich aroma that can delight any food-critic.

Chicken Tajine
Personally, I think the best meat for this dish is lamb.  But my companions did not favor the lamb so we chose to have the chicken tajine instead.  And I didn't regret with my second choice.  My New York-based friend couldn't stop praising the dish.  Even after the meal was over, she kept saying how glad she was to have dined at Kasbah.

And if you decide to dine on moroccan dishes, I would recommend taking it all down with their mint tea.  The teapot itself is a feast for the eyes and the sweet minty taste of their tea just complements well with their dishes.  

Watermelon, Feta Cheese and Olive Salad
As we were concluding the night, my vegetarian friend suddenly said "It would be nice for all of us to go to Morocco one of these days.   It would be heaven to eat food like this on a daily basis. "  I smiled at her and said "Anytime.  I share your sentiment as well."  Moroccan dishes felt so boundless.  Their dishes reflect the diversity of their cuisine.  Their different ingredients show the bountiful resources they have in their land like sheep, fish, poultry and cattle, plus fruits , nuts and spices.  And they are not afraid to use them all to produce great dishes.

Couscous with Chickpea
I haven't forgotten the appetizers. The watermelon feta and olive salad is colorful and the sweet juice of watermelon blends well with the creamy saltiness of feta, but its the plain couscous with chickpea which made me want for more.  The couscous with chickpea has tinge of lemony taste in it and the couscous is truly tasty without being too overwhelming.  You just don't get tired of eating this appetizer.

And this is what a good dining experience should be: a great ambiance, an intimate setting, nothing too formal, and nothing too casual either, great food that doesn't stop in arousing your taste buds but tickles your other senses as well.

My apologies for not indicating the prices of the dishes this time.  There are just some days when money do not matter much.  But I do remember our total bill reaching 3,500 pesos thereabouts.












No comments:

Post a Comment